Thursday, 15 May 2014

Wild Garlic Gnocchi with Mozzarella and Wild Garlic Oil

It all got a bit serious last weekend. I went all out for a foraging expedition; books, bags to carry what I picked and bigger bag to carry all my things, wellies, I was prepared for anything. While out I found a few new things I didn't realise were edible but I headed straight to my favourite patch of wild garlic to get picking before the season is over. I did have to travel a little downstream to get to the good stuff and there was a wobbly moment where I thought I might have to go for an accidental swim but otherwise it was a very successful trip. I carried home my bounty and set to work on some Wild Garlic Gnocchi.
You will need (for two):
300g waxy potatoes
Small handful (roughly 20-30 leaves) wild garlic, blended or very finely chopped
100g plain flour
Salt and pepper
25g Parmesan, grated
125g mozzarella
2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Peel and dice the potatoes to roughly the same size then boil them in salted water until tender.
Drain the potatoes then leave them to cool (lid off the pan to allow steam to escape). 
Mash the potatoes well then add the flour, most of the wild garlic, plenty of salt and pepper and the Parmesan. Mix together until you have a dough.
Knead the dough lightly then roll into sausage shapes and cut into roughly inch sized pieces. I pressed the top of each gnocchi with a fork, for looks more than anything.
Bring a pan of water to a simmer and place the gnocchi in gently. Simmer until the gnocchi rise to the top of the water. Remove them as they rise.
Add the extra virgin olive oil to the remaining wild garlic and blend (or mix) together.
Place the gnocchi on a plate, or in a bowl, and tear the mozzarella over the top. Drizzle over the wild garlic oil and serve.
I'd never made gnocchi before and I don't know why I thought it was so scary. It was very simple and the dough was really nice to handle. The nerves did get going a bit when the gnocchi were added to the water as I had heard they can just break apart but it all went very well. The texture and flavour were great and I liked the delicate colour of the dish too. Because the potato and mozzarella are subtle it really gave the wild garlic a chance to shine; slightly grassy and undeniably garlicky.

19 comments:

  1. Yummy! I can only imagine how great such home made gnocchi taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mouth = watering. Just imagining all that garlic! I hope to try foraging in the future, I'm going to start by growing my own veg and herbs next year (ok, completely unrelated but it's a move away from supermarkets at least!) xxx
    La Lingua : Food, Life, Love, Travel, Friends, Italy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that looks so great. Wild garlic and gnocchi are two of my favourite things. I'll have to find some of the beautiful stuff at a market this weekend to make that! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, nice to hear about having to pluck those wild garlic. Wish I can have the same adventure over here. And the dish with it? yum and heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, this looks so tasty!!

    Sophie
    http://what-sophie-said.blogspot.co.uk/
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely way to use wild garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love wild garlic! This is so yum and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks and sounds like a truly wonderful dish! We love foraging for food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This garlic oil is such a delicious idea, it looks perfectly on the gnocchi :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've hear about wild garlic, never had it though. My sister was just talking about it and now you :) I'm gonna have to look for it...
    Ah, gnocchi...men, they must be good with that garlic and mozzarella!
    :) ela@GrayApron

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that sounds really good! Very much your characteristic style too, Caroline - especially with the foraged Wild Garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love wild garlic and his looks super. what a great idea to put it with Gnocchi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, you're making your own gnocchi! that's great ..i hv never tried doing it myself! a garlicky flavour of gnocchi sounds lovely to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks delicious, I saw the wild garlic was still going strong on my walk this morning so I will put this on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i've seen wild garlic growing but i've never actually eaten it. this preparation sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just so happen to have wild garlic in the fridge! Can't wait to mix it in with some gnocchi! What a fabulous meal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds delicious! I didn't know there was such a thing as wild garlic...will have to be on the lookout :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh goodness, these sound good. I only managed to make some wild garlic pesto this year, but next year this gnocchi may well be appearing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me gustó su receta se ve muy delicioso,abrazos

    ReplyDelete

Do let me know your thoughts